Ethics Case Study
It is essential for all nurses to understand their ethical responsibilities when providing care, functioning within diverse healthcare settings, and interacting with society in general. The ethical expectations for nurses are found in codes, standards, moral philosophy, and legal requirements that inform ethical decisions. Nurses need to be grounded in ethical theories and principles in order to make principled decisions in all aspects of their practice.
Nurses face many ethical decisions in every area of their practice: making choices about confidentiality, advocating for patients, supporting patients in their decisions, meeting the standards of practice, participating in collaborative decisions, and understanding how their own values and beliefs influence their nursing decisions and nursing actions.
This task focuses on confidentiality and addresses the cultural aspects of care that become more important as the populations nurses serve become more diverse.
Read the attached “Case Presentation” scenario. Based on this scenario, write an essay (suggested length of 4–5 pages) in which you address the following:
A. In an introductory paragraph, briefly describe the major topic areas you will be discussing in the paper.
B. Justify the importance of ethical theory (i.e., Utilitarianism, Deontology/Kantianism, Virtue Ethics, Moral Particularism) to nursing.
1. Provide one example that shows the importance of ethical theory as it applies to nursing practice.
C. Relate the principle of confidentiality to the concept of reasonable limits.
1. Explain the elements of the principle of confidentiality.
2. Summarize the elements of the concept of reasonable limits.
3. Provide a rationale for breaking confidentiality.
4. Based on reasonable limits, justify keeping or breaking confidentiality.
D. Identify how to resolve conflict between two or more ethical principles.
1. Summarize one ethical principle that would be in conflict if confidentiality were broken in the given case.
2. Explain an appropriate ethical theory that could support the decision to keep or to break confidentiality.
E. Discuss the influence of culture on values.
1. Compare and contrast the cultural values related to confidentiality for the Z family and for the providers (nurse and physician).
2. Propose two nursing interventions that could help reduce or resolve the ethical conflict of keeping or breaking confidentiality.
F. Identify one ethical decision-making model used by masters-prepared nurses in the delivery of healthcare.
1. Describe the steps in your selected ethical decision-making model.
2. Apply your selected decision-making model to the given case to determine a decision for resolving the confidentiality conflict.
G. Cite at least 10 professional, scholarly sources in your paper.
H. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the attached Rubric Terms.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in a paper or project, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the paper or project.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the General Instructions section.