Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management
3120THS TOURISM CULTURE
Title: Research Paper
Type: Assignment – Research-based Assignment
Learning Outcomes Assessed: 1, 2, 3
25 Aug 17 17:00 Week 8
Marked out of: 100
You will form a group (minimum 2 students, maximum 3 students) during the
Workshop 1 & 2.
As a group, you will work collaboratively to produce a literature review of a chosen
specific DIVERSITY management topics within H & T work context in the following:
(1) diversity training
(2) gender diversity
(3) sexuality diversity
(4) age diversity
(5) physical and intellectual diversity
Whilst the contents of the paper will vary to suit the topic and will be determined by
you, the paper will include the following:
The literature review must include seminal articles on the topic as well as a range
of recent publications (no older than 6 years) that demonstrate the
development of thinking over the years. The literature review must be 2500
words in length (+/- 10%).
Whilst the contents of the paper will vary to suit the topic and will be determined
by you, the paper will include the following:
1. an introduction, a body and a conclusion.
2. definitions of key terms using relevant literature.
3. a demonstration of critical analysis of the existing literature (e.g., samples of
journal articles, book references and media). Include at least 10
references in your reference list. Use APA 6 referencing style.
4. an ability to apply concepts to examples from either the tourism or hospitality
5. a demonstration of the appropriate use of grammar, spelling, punctuation and
Criteria & Marking:
The total mark for the research paper is 35%. The grading criteria for the
written paper are:
content knowledge (40 marks);
purpose and expression in paper (20 marks);
organisation and structure (20 marks); and
See the Learning@Griffith site for grading sheet details.
Submission: Through Turnitin. Turnitin provides an online text-matching service,and
end-to-end assessment submission, marking and return available through L@G
course sites. See the following site
This assessment item:
• is a school based activity
• is an individual activity
• does not include a self assessment activity