WEEK 1 ASSIGNMENT: Importance of Social Responsibility
Research a Fortune 500 company. Examine the company’s social responsibility policies. How does the company demonstrate its duty? For example, you may choose areas such as labor practices, environmental and human rights issues or special interest (e.g., animal rights, women’s rights, technology transfer, philanthropy, etc.) to describe how a company demonstrates its duty.
WEEK 2 ASSIGMENT: Business Regulations
- Identify oneagency, bureau or department within the federal government responsible for upholding regulations that impact business operations. A few examples are the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) or Department of Commerce. Research and explain the purpose of the agency, bureau and how it directly impacts business.
WEEK 3 ASSIGNMENT: Employer of Choice (EOC)
After reading both of the weekly readings Employer of choice: the new corporate imperative and The Employer of Choice, identify two companies to compare and contrast in terms of EOC. The companies should be similar in size based on annual revenue or number employees, but do not have to be competitors or in the same industry. Also, address the questions below in your paper.
- How the companies’ EOC policies and practices create advantages or disadvantages for their sustainability and growth?
- What could the companies learn from each other?
- Which company would you find more attractive as a potential employee? Why?
WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENT: Strategic Philanthropy for Organizations”
- Research a Fortune 500 company, but do not use the same company you used for the Week 1 “Social Responsibility” assignment. Examine the company’s strategic philanthropy and how it impacts profits, brand, image and turnover, as well as society as a whole.
- Also, address any disadvantages or associated costs the company experiences as a result of its strategic philanthropy practices
WEEK 7 ASSIGNMENT: Nature of Sustainability As It Relates to Social Responsibility
- Research and explain the importance of an environmental issue (fracking, hazardous waste disposal, oil pipeline leaks, deforestation, etc.) faced by business and society.
- Additionally, describe at least two strategic approaches organizations are using to respond to the issue.
Write a research paper that analyzes the evolving relationship between business and society. Choose at least three of the topics from the course learning objectives (listed below), and clearly identify how the topics directly impact relationships between business and society.
Topics from Course Learning Objectives:
- Social responsibility
- Strategic philanthropy
- Government regulation
- Organizational ethics
- Consumer protection laws and the Six Consumer Rights
- Environmental issues